Sunday, April 6, 2014

Great Expectations

I went to a party last night for my grand mom's and grand pop's 50th wedding anniversary. There were lots of people there who have been married for a long time. My other mom-mom and pop-pop also have been married 50 years. Uncle Dan's parents are about to celebrate their 60th. There were also some of my younger cousins there who just started their journey or are about to. I wondered what they all thought their experience would be like, compared to what reality handed them. Look at the two clueless twenty-somethings pictured here. They look pretty happy. They had great expectations, none of which even remotely included my situation or that of my brother's. But, had they known then what they know now, they would have still gotten hitched. You see, it's not at all about what you want that makes for a long and successful union, it's how you adapt and deal with what fate's adventures come your way. I know I will probably never get married, but I certainly look forward to being part of the adventures mom and dad may have around the next bend, some of which I will most likely create for them. So to anyone starting their adventure and to those waiting for their next one, remember that sometimes the greatest expectations are the unexpected.

No comments:

Post a Comment