Sunday, March 30, 2014

Sink or Swim


I competed in an ability swim meet yesterday with lots of other kids like me and it made me think of how fortunate we all are to have parents who encourage us to get out there and do as many things as we can. Even things everyone thinks we can't do. Too many parents are over-protective, even those of typical kids. It's fine to look out for us, but sometimes you just have to throw us in the pool, or push us down the hill, or whatever adventure pushes us beyond our limits. I was born with a pretty messed up brain which was supposed to make me incapable of doing almost anything. My parents ignored that and just included me in everything they did. If they hadn't, I don't think I would be swimming or skiing or doing any of the cool things I do. Not everyone is as lucky as me, but everyone has the ability to do something, you just have to try, or be pushed to try.

No comments:

Post a Comment