Sunday, March 2, 2014

True Grit...

I'm tougher than you big-guy!!
No, I'm not talking about the John Wayne movie. BTW, did you know that John Wayne's real name was Marion and that he could have fought in WWII with some real tough guys, but chose to make movies instead. Well, if it's any consolation to fans of the Duke, he did his own stunts....meaning he rode his own horse and fell on an air mattress once and a while. This blog post isn't to attack old dookie pants, but to highlight something I have noticed about toughness. Seems like we admire all of the wrong tough guys and never recognize true toughness. See Ray Rice...I'm sure his wife posed a real threat before he knocked her out. Or the Blade Runner, oh how I wanted him to be my hero. I can point to lots of other guys like Ray and Oscar, but you get the point. Toughness isn't about how many yards you can rush for or how many movies you can make about tough guys. I see real tough guys every day. (note, by "tough guys" I also mean all the tough ladies I know) Toughness is being responsible. Toughness is the kid who goes to school every day even though the other kids pick on him. Toughness is the student who stands up for the kid getting bullied. Toughness is being honest. Toughness is the sister who doesn't get embarrassed of her handicapped little brother. Toughness is the single mom who works hard and raises her kids not to be buttheads. Toughness is the couple who help a child in need when they don't have one of their own. Toughness is speaking your mind when your opinion is not popular. Toughness is the kid with cerebral palsy who struggles with every step and still keeps a smile on his face. Toughness is the parent who keeps a positive attitude while slowly watching a child who is going to die. Toughness is the teen who still tells his parents he loves them...in public. I can go on and on. True Grit is around us every day even though we continue to praise the wrong tough guys all the time. Look around you, and you will be amazed at all the tough people around you who go un-praised every day. Got it...Pilgrim :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment