Sunday, February 23, 2014

Siblings Sleep Late....


I've been up for 4 hours on Sunday, and my siblings are still sleeping. I think it's because I wear them out. They very reluctantly tagged along yesterday for a day trip to Philly to get me out of the house and to take a tourist bus ride through the city of brotherly love. Yup, even though we live here, we
acted like out of towners. As you can tell from Big Bro's face in the picture, they weren't too happy. At least no one they know saw them and knows they were riding the open top bus through town like tourist nerds.... Not until now that is. This got me to thinking about my great siblings and all of the other siblings out there who are lucky enough to have a "special" brother or sister. I mean, brothers and sisters are great to have if your "special" or not, but siblings of special needs kids like me are a little different. They may complain a lot, but they do things that many kids their age never imagine. They deal with some stresses that adults would be challenged with, and all the while, they continue to impress and succeed and overachieve. My Big Bro got accepted to American University this week, his "first choice" college. He was also accepted to every other college he applied to and received scholarships and invitations to special honors programs along the way. I am proud because I know I played a part in his success. I helped make him who he is. My Big Sis is the same way. Quietly overachieving throughout the chaos of our family. She won a prestigious American Legion Award when she graduated middle school. The award is given to one boy and one girl from the class for their strong demonstration of character and good citizenship. Those who receive a medal must exemplify six qualities that define character: courage, honor, leadership, patriotism, scholarship and service. I know that with my little messed up brain, I couldn't help her with patriotism or scholarship, but I definitely helped her with courage, honor, leadership and service. Siblings of kids like me should be noticed more for all of the unwanted stuff they need to put up with and for all of the caregiving they need to give to someone who can be quite difficult at times. These are the people that this world needs to be its future leaders and thinkers. So, to all the siblings of special needs kids out there, I applaud you even though you don't seek applause. Please share my blog with anyone who deserves a little applause, and next time you see a family out and about with a special needs kid, give their brothers and sisters a thumbs-up, they'll know what it means.

No comments:

Post a Comment