Tuesday, December 24, 2013

My Yule Blog

I snuck away from my crazy family so I can write you a special Christmas edition of my blog. Things are crazy around my house this time of year. Imagine my entire family in a snow globe. Now start shaking it vigorously on Thanksgiving and don't stop until New Years. Get the picture? Dad is like Clark Griswold putting up trees and trains and exterior illumination all while grumbling and complaining even though he secretly loves it. Mom makes sure everyone and everything is taken care of and that all gifts are procured and delivered on time. Big Sis baked hundreds of cookies and is still baking. She eats lots of them to keep the inventory manageable. And Big Bro is making sure the couches aren't stolen before our big party. Sometimes he leaves his post to watch me or go buy gifts :-) Truthfully, he too is in the spirit. Even though there is lots of stress and yelling and hard work, I wouldn't have it any other way. These people are MY Santa. Santa isn't some stagnant image created by marketers who want to sell product, Santa is real and he's the people around you who make you feel loved this time of year. Santa is you! It's the spirit you have, to make the lives of others a little better even if it's one day a year. You can be a holiday hero like Santa. Just for fun, below are my top 3 fictional holiday heroes who embody the spirit this time of year.

Clark Griswold


Clark never gives up in doing whatever it takes to make the holidays perfect in their very own dysfunctional way. Just like my family, except I'm the squirrel in our house that disrupts the whole event...





George Bailey

Selfless George impacts everyone in town, loses everything because of his dufus Uncle Billy and mean Mr. Potter, only to be redeemed in the end by all of the friends whose lives he touched. This movie makes dad cry even though he would have put Uncle Billy on Mr. Potter's lap and wheeled them both off the bridge.






Yukon Cornelius

Yukon accepted and helped out the misfit toys. Plus, he was the Rankin and Bass bad ass who took on the Abominable Snowman long before Luke Skywalker killed him in the Empire Strikes Back.


No comments:

Post a Comment