Friday, May 2, 2014

The "C" Word

One word that should never be used: the "c" word


Mom just read an article about a beautiful young woman who suffers from a rare disability, (in fact it doesn't even have a name) where she doesn't produce any body fat. At the age of 25 she weighs a mere 58 pounds. She spoke with confidence, poise, grace, humility, and a sense of humor. When asked how she was able to speak with such confidence despite the fact that kids were afraid of her in elementary school and often bullied she replied " because my parents never said the word "can't". Her parents treated her like every other kid. Therefore, when she went to kindergarten, she had no idea that she was "different" than others. That got me to thinking. I can't remember the last time my parents told me I could not do something. When the doctors said I would never be able to take a bottle, my mom got rid of the feeding tubes and gave me a bottle anyway. When they said I would not walk, my parents got rid my walker ( in Disney World no less!) and had me chasing Mickey Mouse and Goofy. I got some bumps and bruises along the way, but it has made me who I am today. Instead of telling you what I can't do, let me tell you what I can do. I can run faster and farther than dad, I can throw a baseball harder than mom, I can make more baskets than Big Bro and I have more endurance than Big Sis. I can play any sport that involves a ball, and in most cases, I am better at it than my family. I have skied some high mountains, and swam with some beautiful fish. I even  flew in a  4 seater plane with dad just for fun! Maybe someday, I will fly the plane myself...

There are so many people who tell themselves they can't do things. You've heard them. "I can't imagine what it would be like to be in your shoes", "I could never handle being diagnosed with that", "I'm not smart enough", "I'm not strong enough" and so on and so forth. But guess what. You can. My parents did. My Big Bro did" People can and they do. So let's not talk about what you can't do. Dream big and shoot for the stars, and the rest will follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment