Friday, January 10, 2014

Thanks For Nothin...


My Mom gave me a great idea for this week's blog post. She told me to thank my friends for not making me special. No, she didn't bump her head, she's right on point. Let me explain. I currently  have way more friends than Mom, Dad, Big Sis and Big Bro put together. Sorry to brag, but it's true. I have great friends at Shady Grove Elementary, the Ambler Y, Challenger Baseball, Wissahickon Middle and High School to name only a few. I've even poached my parents' and siblings' friends. If I ran for mayor, I am fairly confident I would win.... 


Now to what I am thankful for. I am most thankful for what my friends don't do for me. Almost all of my friends make me feel, well, not-special. I am Sam and they treat me like Sam. And for that, I cannot thank them all enough. Look, I know I'm different and have the need for help that they don't, but in the end, don't we all. We're all different last time I checked. By not treating me special, they don't make me feel too different from them. I know it's hard for people not to treat others with special needs with kid gloves or too protectively, and I know they don't do so with poor intentions. But the more you treat someone with special needs just like you treat everyone else, the more you make them feel like everyone else. So, to all my readers, learn a lesson from my great friends and treat everyone the same no matter how different they are from you...

No comments:

Post a Comment