Saturday, January 18, 2014

Be a Hero not a Zero

I just read a sad news report that authorities may soon be identifying remains of a body found in the river to be those of a severely autistic boy who's been missing for a while. His name is Avonte Oquendo. He wandered out if school one day in Queens NY and disappeared. Even though everyone began a search immediately , it was too late. http://usat.ly/1jcmdpK

Do you realize how many people he may have passed that day or days on way to his fate? It's New York, so safe to say he must have crossed paths with many people. It's also a fair assumption that some of those people would notice Avonte had a problem given the severity of his Autism. If they had just been a hero and taken the initiative to help him, he would be safe with his parents now. 

I have many friends who succeed very well in life in spite of their challenges, 
me included. But there are some challenges we can't overcome on our own, especially when we are removed from our protective environments. Being alone in NYC would fit that bill. I know that if you ever saw me wandering the streets alone, you would grab me and keep me safe. Actually, this happened to me once when I snuck out of the house in my pajamas and was walking down the middle my road. My hero was my neighbor Cheryl, who didn't just assume my parents were watching. She grabbed me and brought me home. Thanks Cheryl. 

So next time you see a kid or anyone for that matter who looks like they might need a little shepherding, don't be a zero, be a hero. 

No comments:

Post a Comment