Monday, June 30, 2014

Not Sel-Fish

I participated in a special needs fishing trip this weekend out of the Ocean City Yacht Club. I didn't know what to expect since it was my first time. I thought they would cram a bunch of kids like me on a party boat, drop anchor, and hope to catch a stingray. I couldn't have been more off-base. Mom, Dad, Big Sis and I were greeted at the doc by a 35 foot Triton center console sporting 750 horses worth of motor(s). It was beautiful, and so were its owners, Don and Sue Dolaway. Don and Sue could not have been more gracious hosts. There were countless other vessels like this, hosting kids like me and their families along with countless other volunteers giving their time, at their expense,  to make some kids smile. Dad asked Sue why they do this thinking they had a grandson or friend who was special needs, only to learn that they do it because it is fun. And fun they were. Don and Sue could easily enjoy this fun all to themselves, but chose to sacrifice a beautiful day for others. Not too many people with the gifts that life has bestowed them like Don and Sue are as giving. They may donate to charity, but rarely do you see people spending time and getting their hands dirty.....quite literally in this case. Too many people who have more than they will ever need take the time to give to someone else and that is sad. Let me correct that. They are sad. When I saw how much fun Don and Sue were having with me, I felt bad for all of those people who hoard their wealth and their time, and never take the time to enjoy the company of someone who might not have been as fortunate as them, whether it be someone like me who is limited by my brain or someone who may not be as fortunate economically. So, to all of you who can easily afford it, invest in an experience of volunteering or reaching out to others. It will return nothing financially but will provide immeasurable returns to your soul.

2 comments:

  1. Sammy, So glad you could join us and yes, a truly special day for you and everyone who came to fish and have fun in the sun. Give a kid a fish, and he eats for a day. Teach a kid to fish and he you feed him for a lifetime. We hope to see you again next year. Capt. George (Polarizer)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dearest Sammy,

    I can't tell us how much it meant to us to be able to share part of your blessed life. What a family you have!!! Your eyes are like acres of diamonds. Your spirit is as strong as humpback whale and your smile is as big as all of the oceans. Thank you for being you.

    ReplyDelete